09 January 2014

A Typical Day in Town



I can't believe we live on an island.

It really doesn't feel like an island anymore. Not since we moved from Chalong to Phuket Town. Few palm trees moving in the wind, although there are of course some glimpses of foliage near us. And then the second we drive out of our area we are hit with views of the hills and beaches. It's a beautiful place to live, no matter what part of the island one is based.

Phuket Town however is extra special, and many refer to it as magical. I agree, it is absolutely the most magical place I have ever lived in! The mixture between Chinese Taoist and Thai buddhist traditions plus a dash of Hinduism, Christianity, and Islam makes for a very intriguing blend of culture. Hidden gardens and shrines, Chinese lanterns illuminated at night...this place indeed is special.

Our day typically revolves around our daily outing around town. Kaya and I walk to our special place, a little cafe called 9 o'clock that has A/C and cartoons playing. I order a coffee and we snuggle and I do some work while Kaya watches cartoons or draws with me. At some point Billy meets up with us and we walk to get groceries or perhaps a bite to eat ( we frequently eat out at lunch time). On the occasions we go out to eat for dinner, we walk up to Suay ( which means beautiful in Thai) and order rice noodles with pesto, followed by friend sticky rice spring rolls and black sesame ice cream. It's delightful, and the place gets absolutely slammed. The owner is a Thai chef that was raised in Germany and he creates many fusion dishes.

Things do get boring here, at least without a car. But in general we marvel at how lucky we were to find a place in this area!

On another note, I wanted to just give a shoutout to Rent Back, a new initiative that allows students to rent the textbooks they own - to other students... which is awesome because it makes them 2-4x more money compared to what they'd make through buyback options! (selling their books back at the end of the semester) Isn't that awesome?! I know some of you are still in school so I thought you would be interesting in checking them out, as well as Campus Book Rentals. You can save up to 40-90% off of bookstore prices and get free shipping both ways. They also donate to Operation Smile with each textbook rented. Pretty cool I say!!

Linking up with The Wiegands Sunday Sync Foley Fam Mommy Monday Leeann Sami Elizabeth MollyRuthBreJulieCarissaLogan  Momlovin Shanna Style Elixer Diva AlohaLauren Anne  Rekita Jess 

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful description. I want to visit Thailand so much. The closest I've ever been was when I was on my honeymoon and we stopped in Kota Bharu. I will make sure to stop by next time we go on a trip in the Far East

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that blue set in the second photo up there! beauty. oh man..I would looove to convince my husband that living on an island is where its at. maybe I'll just send him this post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I really want that bike in the first picture. That color is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make your life sound like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds so beautiful. Like a grand adventure. Sometimes I dream about finding work in my field in another country. I think it would be interesting for my daughter to finish growing up as an ex-pat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to say the same thing "i can't believe we live on an island" but Singapore didn't quite have the quaint feel that Phuket Town seems to have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shots! How lucky you are...
    Debbie
    www.fashionfairydust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds beautiful, and I love your photos! (I feel your pain about being without a car too...my husband works while I'm home all day lol)
    www.allmylovecrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos!

    And thanks for the Rent Back options -- I've recently graduated, and can't wait to try to rent back last semester's books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos take me back home..beautiful shots!! Thanks for sharing.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving all your pictures! (: and what a fun post! (:

    ReplyDelete

I really, really love hearing from you. Please feel free to comment below or email me at sattvicfamily@hotmail.com I love to follow back new blogs so make sure to leave your blog address too!!